The Mystery Fish

Kudos to Annie Rogers and Kippy Altini,  they were the winners who identified  SMELT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smelt_(fish)



I still find it odd that I had been thinking of these fish for a few weeks,  (they were prized by my late good friend Ben Morse), but that I could not remember what they were called until the up and coming Sarasota "Detwilers Farm Market" was selling them a couple of days ago.

Fish is good for Breakfast.  So it was that I pan fried some smelt in olive oil this morning,  until they were crispy.  

This will disgust some of my American friends:  "Crispy" means eating the whole fish  (sans head) --  the skin, bones, tail and flesh - all of it.

Food for the gods I say!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thinking of smelt (as we all often do! ), there is another delicious fish, smaller even than Smelt. but also delicious.

These are from Lithuania, and are a delicious "snack fish".





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"