Grhh!

It's my grumbling time.

INTERNET (and other) purchases.


1.   
I used them for one short ride in Austin, Texas.   The driver took me to the wrong address, miles from my destination.

She tried to correct the error, by concluding the first (erroneous address), and booking herself for the correct address.

UBER then charged me for six rides.  But of course I could not correct this with a simple 'phone call.  Instead I had to make a complicated series of internet communications.  UBER canceled four of the six charges, but since I could not figure out their complicated hieroglyphics I am still $11+  out of pocket.

I gave up trying to correct this $11 error for the sake of my blood pressure.

----------------------------------------------

2.  


I rarely use Amazon  but I did so today to purchase a nylon/fabric watch band, which seems to be unavailable in local stores.

 (I cannot wear leather or metal bands).

Since my Amazon registered credit card has a new expiry date, not the one on Amazon's files, I have to await Amazon's pleasure to correct this  -  and they'll take only twelve hours to assist me.  Blah to Amazon.

------------------------------------------------------------

3.


I rented a car in Texas from a company which shall be nameless (but the photo' above will give you a clue!)

The young male clerk was very aggressive as he tried to make me take out CDW Insurance @ $33 per day.  

My resistance was as strong as the Rock of Gibraltar as my AMEX credit card covers this.

I asked about renting a portable GPS/SatNav and the young man told me that I could upgrade my car to one with a built in navigation system at no additional charge.

Then I made a mistake.  He presented a document with the instructions to "sign here, and initial in about 9,500 other places (I exaggerate).

I did not read every jot and tittle of the document - who does? - because I trusted that the clerk had got it right.  BIG MISTAKE!

Back at home I checked the bill only to find that I had been overcharged by $210 for the CDW and for the vehicle upgrade.

I had a long conversation with a rep. of the Company who reminded me that though the San Antonio clerk had made errors I had accepted these errors by my signature and initials.

"It was" she said, "a legal document". 

I countered that it was indeed a legal document,  but that there was another consideration:  "should I not have been able to trust the word of the San Antonio clerk as a matter of good business practice by his company?"  

I was gentle and polite.

Point half well taken.  The rental company refunded $127 of the $210 "overcharge".

This conclusion was (as we say in the U.K.)  "better than a slap in the face with a wet fish!"





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"